Ever since Prince William proposed to Kate Middleton with an heirloom engagement ring, a beautiful 12-carat oval blue sapphire surrounded by 14 solitaire diamonds, the demand for the blue sapphire engagement rings quickly grew.
Sapphire is the colourful stone fit for the modern-day duchess. The rich, blue gem is extremely durable, rare, and unique. It’s a favourite among royalties and it’s worth getting to know.
If you’re looking for blue sapphire engagement rings, here are a few fun facts:
- Sapphire is considered as one of the “Big Four” of precious jewels, alongside ruby, emerald, and diamond.
- It’s extremely durable stone. In terms of hardness, it scores nine on the Moh’s scale. Diamonds are 10.
- In ancient cultures, sapphire stones were thought to have protection and medicinal powers. They became a gem of choice of medieval royalty and clergy. Kings wore them when they signed treaties as a lucky charm.
- Sapphires are a traditional gift for a 45th wedding anniversary.
- It’s the engagement ring of choice of the British Royal family.
- Majority of the world’s sapphires come from Australia and Sri Lanka.
- Sapphires occur in a rainbow of hues, but deep blues are the priciest and rarest.
Monty Adams Jewellery Concierge Blue sapphire engagement rings Ideas
Looking for a sapphire engagement ring?
From deep blues to fancy coloured sapphires, we’ve got you covered. We can help you design and create the perfect bespoke sapphire engagement ring for her. Book an appointment with Monty Adams Jewellery Concierge to know your options today.