Committing to a lifetime with someone you love is a monumental step, and choosing the perfect engagement ring to symbolise that love adds that extra special touch. As couples seek more personalised options, custom engagement rings are becoming increasingly popular for grooms and brides-to-be alike. However, the process of creating a custom ring raises an important question: How long does it take to bring this unique piece to life? We are here to help you answer that question with a comprehensive breakdown of the timeline involved in crafting a custom engagement ring, along with some expert tips, tricks, and diamond advice to help you prepare for the unforgettable moment of proposing to your special someone.
Initial Design and Quote
The first step to creating a custom engagement ring is to meet for your personalised design consultation to discuss the overall look and vision for your dream ring, from setting and metal choices to diamond and gemstone selection. During this stage, the cost options are discussed, and a commitment is made to go ahead. At Monty Adams Jewellery, the timeline for the initial design stage can be as personalised as the ring itself! From one day to many weeks, we work at a pace you’re comfortable with, ensuring an enjoyable proposal journey.
Here is the process of how to design your custom engagement ring:
- Book a consultation appointment with us.
- Think about the overall style and shape of the ring you envision and any special touches to be included.
- Have any important references with you.
- Choose the right materials (anything from gold, and platinum, to diamonds and gemstones).
- Discuss any timeline or budget considerations that are important.
Production (3-6 Weeks)
Once the design is finalised, it’s time to move on to the production phase. This is where the ring is brought to life and will typically take 3-6 weeks depending on the intricacy level of the ring, material availability and the type of make chosen. Here is a look into the production process of your custom engagement ring:
- For designs using CAD, this is the first step in the production process. A scaled technical drawing is created, marrying both the design and structural components of the ring.
- From there you can review the rendered images, give feedback on the initial design, and make any adjustments before moving on to the next step of the process.
- Your ring is then cast in your chosen metal and the mount is given to the jeweller for a stringent quality assurance check before any further work is carried out.
- The jeweller will then hand assemble any individual pieces and hand complete the casting to the perfect finish, size, and shape.
- Your diamond or gemstone and any other accent stones are then expertly set into your ring.
- When the ring is completed, the jeweller then polishes it for that final elegant look and a final check is done.
This process usually takes the longest, as our jewellers need to make sure that the ring is perfect and aligned with your vision.
Your ring is then valued, and the certificates are provided.
Delivery (1-2 Weeks)
The final step is getting your custom engagement ring delivered. Depending on the delivery method and location, this can take up to two weeks. If you are in a rush to get your ring for your special day, make sure your Monty Adams Jewellery Concierge knows when you need the ring, to ensure that your order arrives on time.
Factors Affecting Timeline
While there is an estimated timeline above, it is important to remember that there are a few factors that might affect the expected date on when your ring is ready. Some of these factors may include:
- The complexity of the design: The more complex your ring design is, the more time it might take to create the piece.
- Availability of the materials: This depends on the stones or ring material that you choose which may affect the timeframe. It is important to note that sourcing different speciality or rare materials might take a longer time.
- Quality Assurance: Monty Adams Jewellery takes every care to ensure your ring is delivered to the highest possible standard. On rare occasions, factors outside of our control may require us to remake the ring for you. We would much prefer this than to deliver a ring that does not meet your expectations.
- Communication between you and your jeweller: Communication is key, especially when it comes to creating a collaborative piece, to ensure a smooth process, make sure to communicate your vision clearly with your jeweller.
Tips for a Smooth Process
To help you have a smoother, fun experience and get the ring of your dreams, here are a few more tips to get you started:
- The earlier the better: It is best to start the process early rather than later, as this gives you and your jeweller time to plan and discuss, before getting the ring into production.
- Flexibility is key: If you have a tight timeframe, be flexible with the design and materials that are involved, as this will help to create a smoother process for your jeweller.
- Choose your jeweller wisely: Choose professional, and reputable jewellers like Monty Adams who favours quality from experienced professionals to ensure your ring gets delivered on time.
- Consider a ring setting: Choosing from a ring setting that is already available then creating a fully customisable ring. This could save time and help speed up the process.
- Be involved in the process: As much as you can be involved in the ring-making process as this is a big purchase and investment, it is important to know that your input matters in accomplishing the vision.
Ready Made vs Custom Engagement Rings
If you are rushing to get a ring, it might be wise to explore some ready-to-make alternatives here. However, there are some benefits to creating your own customisable engagement ring. Some advantages include:
- Provides you with more flexibility: Customising a ring, gives you the flexibility to design something unique, rather than just picking it from a store, ensuring you don’t settle for a ring that is close enough, but rather perfect in every way.
- Makes the proposing experience more sentimental: By having a custom ring, shows that you put thought and effort into the process of creating the ring, it gives a sentimental value towards the experience when you give it to that special someone.
- Getting the best quality ring that aligns with your budget: By customising the ring, you can personally make sure that you get the best bang for your buck, as you can pick and choose every material so that it aligns with your allocated budget.
Though there are many benefits towards getting a customised ring, it is important to consider the time and budget you have too, as this may affect the options that are available to you.
How Far in Advance Should I Buy an Engagement Ring Before Proposing
When you’re considering a special proposal with a custom engagement ring, it’s important to understand that the process can take time. From the initial appointment to the final ring, the timeline may extend up to 3 months. Generally, you can expect it to take around 6 weeks, but we highly advise to start designing the ring 8-10 weeks before that. This will allow ample time for the jeweller to create the perfect bespoke ring that symbolises your unique love story, ensuring a memorable and cherished moment when you pop the question. Patience and foresight in the planning process will lead to a truly exceptional and meaningful proposal experience.
There is beauty in creating a custom ring specially made for your significant other. It symbolises not just the love and relationship, but also the journey each couple takes to reach a certain stage in their life. Just remember that all good things come to those who wait and so does a ring-making process. Be sure to plan early as it will help smoothen out the process and be patient as our jewellers prioritise quality over speed.
As an award-winning jeweller, Monty Adam’s team of friendly jewellery concierges can assist you in creating your own custom engagement ring design; incorporating any ideas, pictures, budget, or other design inspiration you bring with you to your appointment. Monty Adams Jewellery Concierge are the experts in bringing dream unique engagement rings into reality. Consider it to be a luxury within a budget, our team of experts are ready to help with the flexibility of any time and location of your choice.