In the world of jewellery, diamonds are frequently associated with engagement rings. For women, it’s quite the norm but it doesn’t mean that the rule cannot be broken.
In reality, diamonds are not considered “gems” in earlier generations, they have only begun to soar in popularity when ad agency N.W. Ayer executed the “a diamond is forever” campaign for De Beers Group in the early 1990s.
But the question is, do you really need a diamond in your engagement ring? The answer is – it depends on your preference. If you are thinking of something unique and different, here are some alternatives to a diamond engagement ring.
Engagement Ring with Different Gemstones
Not all girls prefer a diamond, there are some who would like to have a fancy jewellery with their favourite stones and others prefer rings with gemstones of their favourite colour. A popular choice next to diamonds is the birthstones which people love for their meanings.
- January – Garnet that means protection
- February – Amethyst for wisdom
- March – Aquamarine means serenity
- April – Quartz that signifies strength
- May – Emerald means hope
- June – Pearl or Alexandrite that signifies love
- July – Ruby for vitality
- August – Peridot for beauty
- September – Sapphire means vitality
- October – Tourmaline means healing
- November – Citrine for joy
- December – Turquoise for friendship even though you are in love
Rings without Centre Stones
Simple engagement rings without centre stones are also an option. There are many styles to choose from.
- Plain bands – No stones, no other embellishments. Plain bands in different metals can serve as an engagement ring if you want it to be. This kind fits mostly the minimalist style, with as little design as possible an only relying on the metal that you will choose.
- Knots – There are malleable metals that can be easily shaped into designs like knots. The quirky design makes a unique ring that you’ll be proud to wear.
- Mixed materials– Using two different kind of metals for an engagement ring is another good idea for a one-of-a-kind band. Use the metals to design the band instead of stones and gems.
- Engraving and carving – Stones are not the only ones you can use for an exquisite piece of jewellery. Carvings, inscriptions, and engravings can be done to make the ring more appealing and unique too.
Looking for a jewellery store?
Monty Adams Jewellery Concierge is a trusted Sydney jeweller that offers a variety of engagement ring options and infinite possibilities for your jewellery needs. Book your appointment today!
SUBMIT AN ENQUIRY