For men, choosing an engagement ring can trigger strong emotions like fear and excitement. A successful wedding proposal is a turning point in a couple’s life and it marks new beginnings in their romantic relationship.
It’s a momentous occasion. That’s why men can’t help but feel nervous before and when they pop the question.
With all the available options in the market, choosing the perfect engagement ring can be an overwhelming task. It’s easy to get lost in a sea of dazzling engagement rings if you don’t know what you’re looking for.
Let’s help you make ring shopping easier and more enjoyable. We’ve created a simple, 5-step guide on how to choose the perfect engagement ring that she’ll yes to.
Step 1: Determine your budget
We firmly believe that the real worth of an engagement ring is the meaning behind it. However, money does play an important role in determining which ring is suitable in your situation. It can also help you shorten your shopping time.
Knowing what your budget range helps the jeweller recommend and show you the best rings that fit your budget. Also, take note that like buying a car, the price of the ring can be negotiated. Establishing your budget is the first thing you need to consider before stepping into any jewellery store.
Step 2: Diamond or gemstone
If you haven’t made up your mind yet whether you want a diamond or a gemstone, that’s okay. Diamonds are iconic among engagement rings. Most women prefer diamond rings because they are exquisite. However, in recent years, gemstones have made quite a following. Royalties and trend-setting celebrities love for coloured gems sparked the craze.
To help you decide, here are the pros for each jewel:
Diamond Engagement Rings
- Diamonds are rare. Renowned for their sparkle, they are very popular among romantic couples.
- Diamonds are hardwearing and strong. Diamond rings can endure a lifetime and can be passed down from generation to generation.
- Diamond rings are versatile. Due to the stone’s colourless appearance, a diamond ring can add a little bit of luxury to a simple outfit.
If you’re a couple who love tradition and a timeless sparkle, a diamond ring is for you.
Gemstone Engagement Rings
- Unique. Women who prefer gemstones over diamonds are drawn to their uniqueness. Different gemstone colours possess distinct characteristics.
- Unconventional. If your partner has a strong individuality, a gemstone engagement ring will complement her unconventional personality.
- Some gemstones are extremely durable. Pearl and opal are too brittle for daily wear. Sapphires and rubies, on the other hand, are among the strongest gemstones.
- Gemstones cost less per carat. Because they are relatively cheaper than diamonds, you can get a bigger dazzler for your money.
If you’re after uniqueness and originality, a gemstone is for you.
Step 3: Know your 4Cs
If by chance you choose a diamond engagement ring to propose with, it pays to familiarise yourself with the 4 C’s, an acronym that stands for cut, colour, clarity, and carat. These four factors determine the quality and cost of a diamond. But, basically the bigger the diamond, the more expensive it is.
You can learn more about the 4 C’s here.
Step 4: Choose your style shape, metal, and setting
Once you’ve chosen the perfect diamond, there are three things that you need to consider after – shape, metal, and setting.
Let’s start with shapes. Diamonds come in different shapes with Round Brilliant as the most popular among the many. In fact, more than 70% of diamonds sold worldwide are round cuts.
Check out this diamond shapes guide:
image: Diamond Teacher
The shape is a highly personal choice and it’s ultimately what your partner prefers. However, if the engagement is a surprise, researching what she likes helps a lot.
Next, choose what metal you prefer. Do you like a classic gold band? Or do you want something extra durable like platinum?
To complete the look of the engagement ring, the next consideration is the setting.
5 classic engagement ring settings:
- Three Stone
Step 5: Set a timeline
Getting a ready-to-wear engagement ring is the best option if your engagement is less than two weeks away. However, if you going the customised route, allow 3-4 weeks to get your jeweller to create your custom made engagement ring.
Monty Adams know that an engagement is one of the biggest commitments of your life. Let’s help you choose the perfect engagement ring that suits your budget and style.